Friday, November 5, 2010

Antique Homes

You know, it's interesting to me how the sales of antique homes go in cycles. There are times when it seems as though everyone is looking for one and then times where just a small percentage of buyers will consider one.

So, I thought it would be a perfect time to give my opinion. I have and always will love antique homes. These homes were built with incredible pride and attention to detail. And, let's face it, these homes have stood solidly for hundreds of years! I can only imagine what some of the homes built more recently will look like in just a couple of decades!

I have had buyers tell me that an antique home needs special care. In all reality probably no more care than any other home. If you are buying one where the current owners have maintained it, what needs more care? Maintenance is required on every house. More likely than not electrical and plumbing have been updated, kitchens and baths have been remodeled, and guess what? These homes have storage area! I mean beautiful walk up attics. Try to get that in a home built in the 1970's-today!

As I consider this though, perhaps it is a special buyer who buys an antique home. This buyer actually loves their home~maybe that's a little rarer today than it used to be. I believe a home is truly that..... a home. It is the place where we escape our daily struggles of work and stress and where we can be ourselves. It is the place where we are accepted unconditionally. Filled with memories both happy and sad... it is our own. Where we make the memories that last a lifetime.

It is as if over time, many buyers have lost this concept and the "home" became a "house". An investment and solely an investment. Almost depersonalized. And, that's sad.

If you're looking to buy, how about considering the idea of a home? And to me, there is nothing more "homier" than one that has stood for generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment